Spring Colors-3

Edit

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This is another in a series of images trying to capture the colors of trees in early Spring. This one is from a recent trip to Shenandoah National Park.

Specific Feedback

I liked the variation in the colors of the trees over the broad expanse of the mountainside. But the image didn’t really have an obvious center of interest. In post-processing, I slightly emphasized the warm yellow-orange tress near the middle. Is this enough to give the image a center? Does it need a center?

Technical Details

Sony A7riv with a Tamron 28-75 at 75 mm and f/11

Some basic processing in Lightroom, with an elliptical mask near the center used to slightly boost the brightness and saturation there

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This represents that transition from winter to spring nicely.

I’m not sure an image like this needs a strong center, and the fact that the center is more red, along with your editing, looks just fine to my eye.

Personal opinions run rampant with this sort of thing, but I could see a little more variation in tone:

@John_Williams Thanks very much for the comments and suggestion. I tried an edit in which I increased both the tonal and color separation a bit. I didn’t want to go too far, so the change is subtle, but I think it improves things

1 Like

Looks good Will; I like the edit.

Will, I really like what you did with your edit! That little bit of “pop” goes a long way and really makes the image sing. Nicely done.

Will, you’ve done a good job of capturing spring colors in a decidious forest. Your view, with no significant focal point, has good abstract qualities, so you don’t need a focal point here. You’re extra work adds a subtle but significant pop especially in the top 1/3 of the frame. For me, that adds to the abstract, let your eye roam the frame, view.