Spring Migration

End of April on the summit of Horse Rock Ridge there were flocks of geese flying high overhead to their Springtime destinations.

Specific Feedback Requested

Does the crop and conversion to black and white look ok? Anything else

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
210mm
1/800
f/7.1
ISO 200
Cropped to take out stray geese and converted to black and white.

This is a really nice flock shot, Vanessa. I really like the lines and shape of the flock. It’s always difficult to find the right shape to make a shot like this work, but I think you found it here.

1 Like

Thank you, so much, Dennis! Yeah, I was trying different focal lengths as they were flying overhead. I always go for the longest but was realizing that in order to really get them all and show how big the flock was I had to back off a bit! Thanks for looking. Glad you like it.

Very much like what you captured, Vanessa. The B&W looks appropriate , the random pattern is wonderful and I think better seen in the large version .

1 Like

You caught a wonderful pattern! My only suggestion would be to add a little canvas top and right, or remove the 2 geese closest to those edges.

1 Like

Thank you @Stephen_Stanton for looking at it large, yeah they just look like tiny specs in the thumbnail! Glad you like it!

Hi @Diane_Miller thanks for the suggestion! I went back in and took out those geese but they honked in protest! Ha! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: If I ever get photoshop I guess it’s supposed to be easy to add a little bit of extra sky.

Sorry, I keep forgetting your software! (PS – it is SO easy!)

1 Like

I like it as a semi-abstract, a bit like Chinese art. No suggestions to improve :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @jaapv! Glad you like it! I’m glad to hear that you saw it the way I did, like an abstract! That’s what I was going for!

That’s a great migration abstract, Vanessa. Someone could probably ID this bird from that paler one third from right at the top! But it’s best seen as a beautiful pattern.

1 Like

Thanks @Mike_Friel ! I’m 99% sure that they are Canada Geese! At least by their calls that’s what they sounded like to me when I was there, even though it was kind of distant! The shape looks like it too. I’m glad you like it!