Still Standing

On our trip to Alaska we were able to spend a couple of days in Wrangell St Elias NP. We visited the old Kennicott copper mine and I took this from behind the mine. I’m amazed that so many of the structures are still intact and appear to be fairly sturdy in spite of the harsh conditions that must rule in the winter. All comments welcome. >=))>

3 Likes

Bill, I think I recall you had some other perspectives on this same mining operation. This angle sure shares a nice view of the structures. I also like how you kept some of the background tailings. It shows how disruptive the processing can be to the environment… :disappointed_relieved:
Yes, this stuff seems almost bullet proof for it to hold up to the severe weather up there. I saw MANY locations in AK while spending 2 years flying the entire state.
I worked with a person who spent his entire 3 month vacation time in the summer scuba mining the Yukon river. Basically scuba diving and using large vacuum pumps along the bottom. He would go out weighing about 200 lbs. and by summers end weigh about 160 lbs. However, he did very well and made good money at it… :sunglasses:

I love history and this coneys a lot of history. Why is it that mining structures always look haphazard in the way they are built? Just additions to additions!
Anyway, I too like the tailings and how you’ve got this structure in its grander landscape. Those mountains provide a nice visual weight to balance the buildings.
I wonder if the cold acts sort of like a freezer, preserving wood better than say, a warmer, more humid climate?
Really cool scene @Bill_Fach! Thanks for posting this!

Great view/perspective Bill. If only this old building could talk. Very nicely done.

Great look at a piece of Alaska history and its environment. The image tells a great story.

Bill, the complexity of the structure is very striking. I too like how fully the story is told with the decay in the structure and the tailings beyond.