Stones under water

Description: This is a limestone beach on Lake Michigan where over the centuries the glacial erratics have broken into smaller and smaller stones. Add the crystal clear water (thanks to the zebra mussels), a few waves and the images were just stunningly gorgeous.

Specific Feedback Requested: Any and all. Thank you.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Adjustment of contrast and brightness and cropping.

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) Single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like how the ripples give this a stained glass effect. I’d crop maybe 10% off the left side - for my eye there’s too much pale stone there. But it’s a great collection, and so sharply caught.

Thanks, Mike. I’ll give that a try.

The ripples do a fine job of adding to the abstraction here, John. I think this view works well, but I can see lots of other possible comps as well. The variety of blue tones is quite striking.

Thanks. Yes, the blues are amazing, especially standing in shallow water on a warm day! I’ve actually worked over a number of other images I did that day and, honestly, if I never made another photograph, I’d have plenty to work with and be satisfied.

I really like this. I think using the water ripple to add interest to the image is very creative and the color variation is very pleasing, too. Great work here, John!

Wonderful image. I like the varying shapes and colors of the rocks. The water soften softens and abstracts the rocks and the ripples add nice texture.

Many thanks. The world is full of these sorts of found objects and I’m grateful when one ends up in my camera!

Thank you, Chris! Glad you enjoyed it too.