Storm over the Teton's

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was a rapid developing storm producing snow on the upper peaks. I spotted the storm forming while eating lunch outdoors at the Jackson Lodge and grabbed my gear and drove to a small parking area -the rest is history-a nice waitress saved my lunch and my beer.

Specific Feedback

all comments are always appreciated

Technical Details

unknown

2 Likes

James, this is an impressive image that effectively conveys a strong mood. Your handling of the various tones in this image is spot on.

If I were to offer a constructive suggestion for further refinement, I would recommend brightening the lake. The lake is a captivating element in this scene, and enhancing its brightness could help create a more pronounced separation between the trees in the bottom right and the water. Additionally, addressing some of the darker spots within the lake that merge with the shoreline could elevate the overall visual impact of the image. It might be worthwhile to experiment with these adjustments and determine if they enhance the overall composition.

I left below a quick edit of what I had in mind and what I might suggest.

2 Likes

James, you have captured the mood. The B & W emphasizes the idea of a storm. I agree with @Trevor_Vellinga regarding the light on the river. The sweep of the storm clouds and the lines in the slopes of the mountains strengthen the power of the composition.

Hi James,
I love the drama with those wonderful storm clouds and the conversion to B&W only enhances that drama IMO. I do like what @Trevor_Vellinga did with brightening the lake as that does give it a little separation from the BG peaks. Beautifully done! Really nice waitress to save the lunch and beer. :grinning:

Trevor. thanks for the edit - major improvement. I did try to dodge that area but wasn’t very siccessful. What method did you use? Thanks again!

She got a nice tip :smiley:

Hi James! Great job capturing this dramatic and moody scene! I love the explosion of rain/snow over the peaks. I like Trevor’s suggestions to add a little punch to the river. Well done!

A wonderful scene – fast action got you a great image! Why is it that the best scenes happen at inconvenient times? I like the adjustment @Trevor_Vellinga made. I hope the remains of your lunch didn’t get rained on.

Hi @Jmill59 , here’s what I did. Please note that I only had access to the 8-bit file, so things will be different when you do it. Also, I created the masks using Lumenzia since that’s what I have on my work computer; you can do everything the same way with TK if that’s what you have. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Wow, this is a first class critique with an excellent step by step process. Thank you for the process and your time. Jim

This exemplifies why when the weather is bad be out in it. Terrific capture. What you could do to improve it is not for me as just like it, especially in B&W. The suggestions are terrific and I applaud those who gave substantial critique here.
Did you capture it with a B&W or with a color camera?

Very special image, indeed. I certainly agree with the comments and commend you for quick reaction to changing weather.

No, the scene itself was almost B&W except for a small section of blue sky to the left of the imsge