Stretching

V1: 10 shot stack, 383 mm, 0.5 s, f/10, polarizer at minimum reflections

V2: 11 shot stack, 383 mm, 1/4 s, f/10, polarizer near maximum reflections

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This interesting linear structure stood out in my pond ice. Version 1 had the polarizer rotated to minimize reflections, letting the colors from below dominate. Version 2 mixed the golden reflection from a nearby tree trunk with the colors from below at roughly equal proportions. V2 was taken from a slightly different position for placement of the reflection.

Technical Details

R5, 100-500, tripod and polarizer

7 Likes

Mark, these two are even better than the one you submitted recently that was very similar. More texture in these. The second one shows even more texture, but I like the brighter colors showing through. I would love to call either of them mine though. Very nice. And it really reveals what the polarizing filter can do in images like this. Thanks for sharing that info and both images as well so we can see the difference it makes.

1 Like

I really like the way the contrasting elements play out in these images. The crystalline geometry of the ice stands out beautifully against the soft muted colors of the background. Good example of how contrast in subject matter can create a dynamic image. Thank you for sharing.

Mark: Both of these are marvelous. On the first I like that I can tell the underlying color is from leaves while the opposite is true of the second. Terrific comp and captures both. >=))>

Wow, these are both excellent! The fine textures in V2 are quite striking.

No 2 has more consistency in the amount of reflection - and I like the placement and contrasting dark and light of the ice formations in it more than in No 1. So I’d plump for that one, as I can’t afford to buy both! Congrats again.

Wow! I love this image. The interest in the ice is eye catching, and the colors, in the background, to me, enhance it more. Absolutely love everything about this picture!