Stump-tailed Macaque

We came across several troops of Macaques visiting Kaeng Krachan this past November, and this little guy paused to grab a pod as the troop moved past our position.

Kaeng Krachan NP, Thailand

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the seed pod distract from the composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500
500mm f/4
1/640s @ f/7.1
ISO 3200
1/3 Ev
HH
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a real cutie he is, Charles. Great capture of him with the pod to his mouth, and he eye contact with you. I don’t find the pod a distraction at all, but a nice behavioral shot. Wonderful details, color and lighting. This is really no deal breaker, but a tip of a leaf coming into the frame to the left of his face, I think if it were my image, I would try to clone that out. Great shot. I am enjoying his cute little face and the expression he has with that pod.

What a beautiful guy, Charles! I agree with @Shirley_Freeman about the eye contact. Super cool. Growing up in Indonesia, I am familiar with the seed pod but I am wondering if altering the color will make it less of a distraction… maybe something like this:

I like Adhika’s edit very much. I was okay with it before, as he is in a jungle, and a pod to his mouth as well, but in my opinion, toning down the color did improve this shot. He is way too cute!

Those eyes draw you in right past that seed pod. I think it adds to the story. I also like the original color because I like that contrast of the plant against his face. Wonderful interaction!

You have captured some great details in the face and I love those beautiful eyes and the soulful look, he gave you.
The second version with tone down color is less distractive, but it reduces the overall appeal.

Charles: the eyes are the absolute center piece in this excellent photo. All the other elements, the hands, the oof greenery all lead you back to the eyes. Congrats! Richard