Sun, Wind, and Waves and Witches Rock (Roca Brujaz) - Guanacaste, Costa Rica

Iconic landscape feature - Shot photo at 11:20 am with Nikon D500 while sitting on the beach at the surfline @ 3 km from the rock.

What technical feedback would you like if any? How to improve capture?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? The background seemed to mimic the wave action - but not sure if I should have cropped it back .

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Used: 1/1000 sec at F/5.6, Iso 100, with Nikon 200-500mm lens at 260mm
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ej.jewett

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

EJ,

I see this may be your first post in Landscape Critique - and so welcome to NPN! Great to have you here.

Great job in capturing that wave - especially in it’s shape and peak timing. The longer focal length compresses the scene nicely between the wave and the main bg rock; and I do see where the wave (including spray) is mimicking that bg rock.

Color and contrast look good, given the direct, late morning light.

If I had one wish it would be for a little more breathing room on the left of the rock; just a wee bit tight there. But of course you’ve framed the main subject (the wave) quite well.

thanks for sharing!

Lon

1 Like

EJ, welcome to the Landscape Critique forum, this a great first post !!!. That must be some big rock formation if its 3 km from the shoreline. The processing of exposure and contrast looks good, given that it was taken at mid-day. This must be a great spot to shoot from in late afternoon, hopefully you can get back and try this again in better light. I do think the background mimics the wave action, but I think this would be further reinforced by a crop away from the top of the image. I also think you can place more emphasis on the rock and waves by adding some darkening vignette to the frame edges and corners. Here is a rework reflecting my comments.

2 Likes

Real nice first post, EJ. Welcome aboard. I like the composition as posted (no crop). I might be inclined to bring down the overall exposure just a touch, but otherwise, looks good to me.

1 Like