Sunset over the pond

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any advice is welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony A7 III. 28-70 kit lens.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Tom,

YOu’ve got a good looking sunset sky. For me the landscape part of the comp isn’t adding much, if anything. I see a dog? maybe which might be an interesting subject and a reason for capturing this, but is too small in the frame to mean much and becomes more of a distraction. I think the line of trees and the sliver of grass above the water is all that’s needed to anchor the composition.

A few anomalies in the sky that you may or may not want to consider. The errant edge of a tree on the right could be cloned/cropped away. Same with the jet traveling across the top (not much can be done with the other jet trail remnants; those aren’t an issue anyway}. And there’s a couple of dust bunnies. A couple of hot clouds, but we’re looking in the direction of the sun, so that’s quite understandable.

Overall nice sunset image. The lower third not doing much for me. But then I wasn’t there taking in the experience.

Lon

thanks for the help. I am very new, but learning a lot everyday.

Tom, since you are new I feel more open to giving advice.

People see things different than the camera. You see your dog playing in a meadow and the dog looks bigger to you than what it really is because your attention is focused on it. But the camera sees things as they are. The trick is to have the camera show how you see and feel about your dog.

This is common in bird photography. You get all excited about the red cardinal you see and take a lot of pictures. Only to come home and see images with small red dots.

To be honest, it’s hard to say what you were after in this picture. Perhaps this picture is of a sunset and the dog is just there. In that case I would remove the dog and concentrate on the sunset. But if the dog is important I would make sure you get that point across. And interestingly enough, the dog doesn’t have to be large to make the point. With a good composition a dog can be easily the point of focus even if it’s small on the canvas.

Hope this helps.