Texas Ranch evening

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any help is appreciated

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony A7 III, 100-400 GM lens, 320 ISO, 1/30, F11

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Tom. I’m not a landscape person, but I’ll give it a shot. I like the tree on the right silhouetted against the sunset. It has some wonderful lines in the branches. The structures on the left with the tree that looks badly abused behind it doesn’t add to the image for my taste. I think I’d just crop it out and see what kind of composition works best with just the tree.

Tom, I agree with @Dennis_Plank, I love what is going on with the tree silhouette against the sky, but the foreground is too dark to add interest to this composition. The dynamic range of this scene is too much for you to get a good exposure in both the land and sky. Some attempt at HDR or bracketing exposures and blending them would have been needed to get detail in the land here. You could try to lift exposure in the foreground, but this is so dark it would add a lot of noise. As Dennis suggested, I might have considered using a telephoto lens to extract a composition of just the tree silhouette. Something like this perhaps.

Tom,

That is an intense cloud - one I think we’ve all loved experiencing and I think you’ve captured the color and saturation nicely. I looks like the idea here was to catch the entire cloud and by doing that forced the composition in to including the fencing (although quite dark) and the trailer or whatever structure. It does provide some balance with the oak tree, but like the other comments, I think ultimately takes away from the artistic effort.

Nothing wrong either stepping in front of the corral and eliminating all distractions and have a simple pano of that cloud and sky. But of course I wasn’t there and don’t know what the constraints you had to deal with in terms of point of view.

Really enjoying the colorful cloud and silhouette of the oak. I like Ed’s crop. I would go even further and crop a little more off the right.

Thanks for posting!

Lon

I love the beautiful contrast between the tree and the sky, the repeating patterns of the tree and the colors of the sky. It’s too bad that structure is there otherwise I think this would make an interesting pano. As is, I agree with Lon and Ed about the crop as to me that is the best part of the image and that structure isn’t adding much.