Surf Scoter - Not Amused - Recropped

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Taken at Bolsa Chica in broad daylight. These ducks have an amazing bill both in color and size. I went back to the original version and found that I already had some extra space in front that I could do a recropped image with.

Technical Details

Canon 7DMii, f8, 1/2000 sec, iso 500, 100-400/1.4TC, at 560 mm. Cropped for composition.

Ed, I like the title of the picture. It certainly fits the look. The texture of the water adds interest. It looks like this fellow was just awakened and hasn’t had time to “comb” his feathers. The crop comes pretty close to limiting the space open in front of the bird. Just a bit more water on the left would not crowd the composition. A great picture. Thanks for sharing.

Nice sharp look at the scoter. The movement and color of the water adds to the image. Nice one.

Nice job Ed. The only shot I ever got of one of these was at a large distance and was strictly an ID shot. You got very nice detail and I love the multiple reflections created by the rippled water.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic [quote=“Barbara Djordjevic, post:2, topic:40642, username:Barbara_Djordjevic”]
Just a bit more water on the left would not crowd the composition.
[/quote]
I cropped mostly from the back but unfortunately didn’t give myself enough space in front, and I’m lousy at adding water canvas.
Thank you also @Allen_Brooks and @Dennis_Plank. I think this is the first time I’ve ever gotten much detail in these really black birds.

Ed, do you use Photoshop? The content aware fill can do a lovely job adding to the canvas. I used it successfully when it was suggested that I cropped in too tightly.
Here is a screenshot of how I added the extra to the left of the frame. Then, I am including the finished result.
First, I added some extra canvas.
Then, I applied a mask that took in some water.
I used the content-aware fill in the edit menu, which allowed me to paint in the area to copy.
Hit apply and OK. Then, combine the two layers.
Done, you have just created water!

You can now crop however your heart desires.

@Barbara_Djordjevic nice job on the water. I have Photoshop Elements. I always get areas that look like they are duplicates of the existing water, or it has a weird line that doesn’t quite fit with water. Yours came out really nice.

Hi Ed,
Nice exposure in the blacks and I like the head turn towards us. I’m fine with your original crop. Well captured.

1 Like

Thanks, Ed. I can understand the challenge with Elements.

Thank you @Barbara_Djordjevic, I found my original file and it had some extra space in front that I could work with. Thank you for not giving up on me.

This is a community effort. We don’t give up on each other. I value your comments and the insights I gain from them.

1 Like