Sweet Dreams & post in color for Dennis

There’s a chicken and turkey farm only a couple of miles from where I live. I like to ride over there and watch them. They usually take their dust baths in the morning and end of the day, which I love when they do that. I thought all the dust in the air gave everything a soft, dreamy look to go with this one little chicken I spotted settling down for a nap.

Specific Feedback Requested

I feel like the dust in the air gives it a soft look, is it conveying that impression? Anything else

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 400
300mm
f/6.3
1/500
Taken through a fence.
Converted to black and white.

naturenessie

The dust is definitely giving it a soft look, Vanessa. However, I’m not quite getting a feel of dust out of it. It almost looks like an old Black and White the has turned a little foggy with age. I’m wondering what it looks like in color. If you have backlight on the dust clouds, you can get some amazing glowing effects particularly if you can get colorful early morning or late evening light.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank hi Dennis, this is the color version, the dust and backlight might not be very obvious since I zoomed all the way out to get the chicken big in the frame…

I think the dust shows up better in the color version, but I also think a looser composition would give a bit more of an ethereal feel to the image (assuming there’s nothing ugly that would end up in the frame).

2 Likes

@Dennis_Plank Ha! There isn’t anything ugly just very distracting with all the other birds! Like no one would know what the picture is about! :slight_smile:

A really good idea Vanessa and i like the model. Fantastic head on the chicken. I would like to see a bit more separation of at least the front of the chicken from the dusty bg. More contrast or something to set it apart. Otherwise as Dennis mentioned the whole photo seems to have foggy look instead of a chicken in a dusty farm yard.
Too many midtones I guess is what i am saying. But what a great place to go and photograph.

1 Like

Thanks @David_Leroy! So you say too many midtones. Does that mean that all the colors are too much alike and then nothing really stands out?

1 Like

I downloaded the image Vanessa to see if I could get something more distinct around the front of the hen. I couldn’t without really changing the image. Which makes sense because the hen is in the little dust storm and if you are in a dust storm you can’t really see the storm just the dust.

1 Like

@David_Leroy Ha! That’s funny! They really do kick up a lot of dust! Thanks for trying to make something out of it!

Use Dehaze in Lightroom or Adobe Camera Raw which is a way too enhance overall contrast in images compromised by fog, dust, or glare. Just a minor tweak is all this one needs…Jim

1 Like

IMHO the colour image is more evocative, and works better