Sweet sunset

Walking along the ancient walls of San Marino Republic at sunset.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I seldom take this kind of photos, all suggestions are welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

D800E, Nikkor 60mm macro, 1/160, f/11, ISO 250

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Giuseppe. It looks like you’re only looking for technical feedback and not artistic feedback, so here goes!

This might fall into the artistic category… but I noticed some haloing (see the tree at far right) probably from pushing shadows / highlights too far. This is something I often have issues with myself and really the only thing that makes it fixable is to use Luminosity masks or to exposure blend.

I also am not sure the composition works. What is the main subject? That’s a question I often get asked and if I can’t answer the question then I know the photo is missing something.

My eye is really drawn to the contrail above the sun, which I think is distracting. Hope that helps…

Giuseppe, I like the overall concept of this image, and I think it has a number of interesting elements. Even though the sky is bare with no clouds, I think the idea to fill the sky with the interesting shape of the tree and the lamps could have worked. But I would prefer to see this composed differently. The merger of the lamp-post with the tree is a significant problem for me, I would have tried to find a different angle to shoot this from to get separation of the two, perhaps by shooting from further to the right. I also would have like to see more of the tree branch at the top.

Giuseppe,

Great colors and mood. I can also easily see the attraction to the moment with the setting sun. I think at this hour, the lamp posts are especially intriguing. I also see some potential in the repeating patterns of the wall(?) at the bottom.

Agree with the others that perhaps this could have been crafted a bit differently. I think either more of the tree filling up more of the sky and framing the sunset was an option (not sure if you can return here again?) but also exploring perhaps what is in front of this tree and lamp (there’s another lamp below. Lastly, the horizon is pretty far off level and that takes away from the impression for me.

Love the colors and the hazy/misty layered valleys/ridges below are wonderful - I’d get closer if you could and isolate fewer simple elements - like just one lamp post against the stetting sun with the layers below. Who knows, hard to say not being there what the possibilities are.

Lon

The three comments are full of good advices for a landscape beginner like me. I will think about your suggestions.
Thanks Matt, Ed and Lone.