Sweet sunset at Sanmarino Republic

I was a flower photographer in NPN. Three years ago my wife arrived to the end of her pathway preordered in the map of her life and I was no more able to photograph a flower, no one more since than. I began covering long trekking with my small dog and slowly I began to enjoy landscape photos. Now I love them but the transition from a 200mm macro of small flowers to a 24mm infinite landscapes is still difficult for me. Therefore I ask your patience and heart for helping me to become a better landscape photographer just as NPN did once while I was taking flowers. Thanks.

Sanmarino indipendent Republic is near Rimini, my town, only 7 km as the crow flies. From the bettlements of the medioeval fortified town I enjoied this peacefull sweet sunset.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedbacks and suggestions.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850 and 24-70mm Nikkor lens. F11, ISO 250, 1/180 at 60mm without tripod. Post processed mostly in the Raw Converter, cleaned and finished in Photoshop.

1 Like

What a beautiful composition/scene, The layers of fog with the sun bring such a peace to the mood. The tree down through the lampposts brings me right where I think you want me to be.Nicely seen Giuseppe.

I have found NPN to be invaluable in helping me develop as a landscape photographer…I am sure you will also. I am very grateful for all the time people give for feedback. Welcome back!

1 Like

Opps, one thought …the tree in the RLC is a bit of a distraction to my eye but that is my humble opinion.

Mario I have been very irresolute about wat you have pointed out. You are right that it is distracting but cutting it seems to me unbalancing the image with the sun too lateral. But I may be wrong because the three and the street lamps leed definitely toward the sun.

It may look like this

1 Like

Bella immagine Giuseppe.

I spent a week in Repubblica di San Marino a couple of years ago. We wanted to visit all the small countries of Europe. I started in Luxembourg and then visited each ending up in the Principality of Andorra. We stayed in Rimini before and after going to San Marino.

As to the image, as I said, it’s a beautiful landscape of the Appennini foothills to the west.

I see the tree on the right as a balance and frame.

My only distraction, and it’s my opinion, I would rather see the lamp post on the left to be vertical. However, that would tilt the other lamp and wall in the foreground.

I’m looking forward to more of your work; it brings back wonderful memories.

I really like the rework. I think the sun and color intensity in the RLC still balance it…e come ha detto Paul questa e un immagine bella. La mia famiglia de Molise e Napoli. A presto qui.

Paul the straight horizon and trees is a ripical problem of landscape photographers and I still don’t have enoughf sensibility. For not having bending bettlements I have tried a compromise, is it acceptable?

Yes, that works better. Thanks for taking the time to give it a try.

I can’t help but feel that this is a tribute to your recently deceased wife. Or perhaps it reflects how you feel these days. The glowing lantern can be how she still shines in your life but the setting sun tells us about the sad past.

Aside from all this I find the tree with the lantern to be the heart of the image. I propose a vertical of the left side and omit the sun entirely. I wish you had moved to the right and created greater separation between lamppost and tree.

1 Like

Hi Giuseppe, I am new to landscape photography also. I really like this image with the foggy hills, sun, and lamp. Tweaks are good but I also like the original image as is.

A wonderful image, and the mood, colour and composition are near-perfect. In this case I would forget about straightening the horizon as the landscape suggests hills. The dominant parts are the lanterns and balcony and those should be perfectly straight. Lens corrections-custom in Photoshop. If the horizon still bothers you (it is fine with me), try blurring it. - You can probably keep the tree on the right if you work on the original file. I can sympathize with your dilemma, I have been in similar fights with perspective. In some cases it is even better to leave it as is, after all it is what your camera saw.

This turned out really well, Guiseppe. Of all the versions, I prefer your repost, although the tree in the original doesn’t really bother me. The processing looks spot on. Quite a lovely scene, with a lot of mood.

Thanks Harley I am glad that you like the repost.
Jaapv I tried but it is diabolic! The balcony and the small street lamp are straight in the original so when I try to straighten the bigger lamp in the lens corretion of Photoshop the reminder of the image become oblique. Then I managed to straighten the balcony but I am not able to do the same with the small lamp. An impossible thing for me!

Gigi: Great to have you posting again and while I understand and sympathize with your decision to set aside floral photography I do hope you can get back into it again. I fully expect your eye for composition and skill at capture will produce some wonderful landscape work. This image is a great start. The original works well for me and also the reworks. Like Igor I see a lot of symbolism even if that wasn’t your intent. Marvelous work my friend and welcome back. >=))>

1 Like

First straighten the lamp posts using the vertical perspective slider and rotation and then use the horizontal perspective tool. But give yourself playing room first with content aware crop to enlarge.

Thanks Jaapv now the image is OK.

Gigi, I’m so sorry to hear about your wife, but glad that you’ve found some renewed interest. It’s great to have you back participating in NPN. I really like this view with it’s mix of gray ridges, interesting structure at the bottom and colorful sky. Neither the tree in the lower right or the leaning tree on the left bother me. I think they do a good job of framing the scene, doing a good job of putting me right there, watching. There is a nice “clean” feeling to your first repost. PS, I was in Rimini in 1978. It’s been long enough that I think (but am not sure) that the NATO study institute I was attending went there as a visit, not that the workshop was held there.