Sympetrum Species

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Dry heat, wind, and no rain have made dragonflies rather uncommon in Northwest Ohio. I was hoping to capture the elusive painted skimmer, but only saw a few freshly emerged Sympetrum species and a single 12 spotted skimmer. I was using my 200-400mm f4 with a 20mm extension tube and this rig works well for big skittish bugs.

Technical Details

Z9 200-400mm f4 at 400mm (1/500 sec. at f16, ISO 1250) Fill Flash at -1.7ev, Topaz DeNoise ASI, Levels, Shadows and Highlights, contrast bump up with curves, crop for comp.

Wonderful sharpness and detail against the perfect BG! You have DFs there that are so different (and more interesting) than the ones I can find out here. Nicely different pose here!

A wonderful look at this DF, Jim. Such nice details throughout the DF and his perch, with a perfect BG to make him stand out. Great shot!

I wonder if it is holding this unusual pose as it has recently emerged. A different challenge with wing focus, but you’ve done very well, Jim.

Excellent DF image, Jim!
I really like the orientation of the DF and the color of it blends in well with the dried stalk. The wings are so clear compared to some species. The BG color works nicely with the DF and the stalk.

I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to DFs and many other insects so I appreciate the ID, although, I will probably forget it by tomorrow, I don’t have a bad memory but I’ve always had trouble with remembering names of things (as well as some people unless I’ve written their name a time or two).

I’ve been thinking about trying my extension tubes on my new 150-600 and your comment about what you did here encourages me to do it rather than just think about it :slight_smile:

Very nice perspective and composition!

Hi Jim, I like the composition you chose and the diagonal of perch and subject. Pleasing color of this specimen and the BG works well with it. I notice the grayish blue spangles - very neat - must look pretty cool in flight. Nice image.