Syrphid Flies

Description:

It has been very warm and muggy with no rain so I decided to go look for teneral dragonflies yesterday. I found some shed skins, but ran into these amorous syrphid flies. Syrphid flies are mostly beneficial as their larvae prey on insects like aphids. Each fly is about 3.0mm in length and I was shooting close to1:1. Camera was mounted on a sturdy tripod.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

D500 200mm f4 micro (1/80 sec at f29, ISO 2000, Natural Light. DeNoise, slight crop for comp, rubber stamp tool for dust removal, Shadows & Highlights, Brightness & Contrast.
Is this a composite? No

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Jim, I’ve shot these flies and they are a challenge because they’re so small. The sharpness in both flies and the grass blade looks good. It’s special that you caught some of their wing iridescence.

1 Like

Jim…looks to me like a choreographed dance party. Beautifully done.
Balan Vinod

1 Like

Jim, a wonderful capture of these little guys. I love how the blade of grass is diagonal across the image, and what a wonderfully smooth background. Such excellent details, and the wings are a nice bonus. Perfectly captured.

1 Like

A dandy shot getting the two of them together. And really good job on dof with both tiny flies sharp.

1 Like

Excellent capture Jim. This is a rare capture because of the way these two are posed and how sharp the details came out. It’s amazing they sat there long enough to pull this off. Awesome!!!

1 Like

Jim: Awesome capture and I especially love the color in the wings. Exceptional shot. >=))>

1 Like