Syrphid Fly on Flower - Repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I believe this is a Syrphid fly and a friend (?) on this colorful white flower. I really liked how the fly’s colors seem to complement the flower.

Specific Feedback

I hope the little pod in the lower left corner and the pink stem along the left side are not too distracting. Clone? Average? Darken? Maybe adjustments to the BG would help.

Technical Details

canon 60D, f16, 1/400 sec, iso 400, -0.3 exp bias, 100 mm

Ed, I like the position of the bee on the flower. There is no question what his intentions are, going for the pollen. By using f16 the BG is a bit more distracting than one would like, to include the pod in the LLC. To me the little fly needs to be a bit sharper, but there was no way to coax him closer so the DOF would have worked out with him on the same plane of focus. I could see this cropped in to just the bloom and the bee maybe. Just a thought.

Very nice, Ed. I could see darkening the background a bit and maybe removing some of the more obvious distractions. Some backgrounds make that difficult, but the modern tools help.

@Shirley_Freeman and @Dennis_Plank thank you for your suggestions and comments. I definitely like the tighter crop better. I looked it up in BugGuide and found that this is a Syrphid (Hover) Fly in the genus Eristalis. https://bugguide.net/node/view/713835

Ed, I like the tighter crop too. Less distractions and it is all about the hoverfly.

I think the crop was the right solution, Ed. The repost looks great.

The crop is very nice! I think you could even allow a little more on the bottom – it feels a bit crowded there. I think the flower may be a Mariposa Lily? We have the yellow ones up here.

Ed: I like the crop but you lose your little party crasher. I think I would take the wider view and clean up the hot spots in the BG for sure and maybe blur the rest of it even more and add a vignette. Still a fine result. >=))>

PS: Another crop idea

Oooh, i like this take on it @Bill_Fach.