The Amphibian

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It’s as if this ancient stone giant, carrying the weight of eons, has trudged its way across the ocean’s floor. It’s a journey told through the scars and grooves etched deep into its surface. Now, at the edge of land and sea, it rests. In its newfound home, it basks in the warmth of the sun, a sentinel bridging the depths below and the skies above, both weary and majestic in its hard-earned place.

@Ben_van_der_Sande

Ancient stone giant,
Across the seabed it trudged,
Rests where waves embrace,
Sun warms its triumphant face,
Sea and sky in silent hush.

Specific Feedback

Any constructive feedback welcome

Technical Details

16 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄160sec at ƒ/8

Another wonderful image!! And now you are a poet! Your skies are always so amazing, working so well with the dramatic rocks. I love how the curve of the clouds dips down to touch the curve of the rock – that works so well here with the single rock. Maybe another haiku there??

Thanks Diane, glad you like it. I have added a color version, I wanted to ask if you if the color version is as effective as the B&W. It seems that perhaps the appetite for B&W (my preferred format for almost everything) is far less than for color. Trust your opinion and would appreciate it.

I’m no poet @Ben_van_der_Sande introduced me to the Haiku, I think it is great way to try and express the essence of an image.

I think it is, but I’m not that much of a landscape person and rarely convert to B/W, so many others here can give you a much better idea. But for my 2 cents I feel a better separation of the rock and sky with color. Maybe a smaller move on the blue slider in the B/W conversion, to give a lower contrast sky, would do the same thing? I think these seacoast compositions are perfect for B/W, with the strong elements – it takes them into an even more artistic dimension.

1 Like

Thanks Diane, a good eye is a good eye no matter the genre. Thanks I agree these sorts of textured coastal compositions are served better by B/W.

Don, Now your not only photographer of in my opinion very well made images in your own style. But also called a poet already :+1:.

1 Like

:rofl: I think I should stick to photography! But thanks Ben, the Haiku is a great companion to any image! :+1:

Hope to see much of your work !

1 Like