The Gathering + REPOST

Some small pebbles in a pool of water, just a few meters from my previous picture

Specific Feedback Requested

C/C welcome

Technical Details

Nikon D810
Tamrom 24-70
focus stacking

1 Like

This is a really nice tide pool portrait. To my eye, it feels a bit tight at the bottom. Maybe add a little canvas and fill it in? Otherwise, everything looks quite good. A great little rock collection and small scene.

Wonderful intimate landscape here. The comp is great, although I do agree with @Harley_Goldman about it being a touch too tight at the bottom. However it’s still a terrific scene.

Beautiful work, Joao. You really have to see the large version to fully appreciate all the detail in those rocks. The light displays the 3 dimensionality of the rocks. The colors look natural with the brown ones complementing the cool scene. I would extend the lower border to provide space and then the left so that it doesn’t become too narrow.

Gorgeous subject with lovely soft light! A wonderful surprise to discover the little bit of water and to try to find where it begins and ends!

I love this so much. The contrast and light are beautiful here. The only thing I might consider is scooting the composition down to give a little more space below the bottom rock for balance. Nice one!

Joao, I just love this kind of work.So well made.

Just beautiful Joao. I will add that the bottom could use more space but other than that I have no nits at all with this.

I’m enjoying your pebble series. The warm oranges against the cool grays are so appealing. I’ll agree with the others that the bottom of this feels crowded, with that small pebble touching the frame.

My immediate reaction - as others, it seems, have mentioned - is that this is a bit unbalanced. While I don’t mind there being more space on the right side than the left, there surely needs to be more breathing room in the bottom of the frame. As it stands right now, there is a lot of visual tension going on down there, which pulls your eye in a negative manner. Something I learned from @Ben_Horne is to try and keep equal spacing around the image, especially when it comes to important elements; you can always crop in a bit, afterwards, but once you are too tight, it’s too late for that particular piece.

Otherwise, the tonality of the piece is wonderful; there is plenty of detail in the shot, which in and of itself is quite interesting.

I would recommend a non border/watermark version for critique… I like what I see though! Nice collection of subjects here! I think I would have liked a tad more room at the bottom.

This is a great image, Joao. I agree with the previous comments on more space at the bottom and equal space on both sides. One idea could be to erase the small stone at the bottom to create space (only if you do not have anything to work with at the lower border).

JoĂŁo,

Great find, beautiful capture. I love the arrangement of the stones and other elements in this little tidal composition.

I would agree with some of the other comments about balance and space along the edges. Agree with Harley that a little extra room at the bottom would help - As presented the tension is high with the bottom stone just begging to touch the edge of the frame. Up top I thin there is extra real estate, only to be included so as to get the seaweed/plant some space. Lastly, a little tight on the left - and only mention because there is more space on the right, than the left.

But the spacing and balance is pretty nitpicky actually. This works quite well as presented. And only some minor tweaks come in to play of they fit your vision.

Lon

@Harley_Goldman , @David_Bostock , @Igor_Doncov , @Diane_Miller , @David_Johnston , @Ben_van_der_Sande, @David_Haynes , @Bonnie_Lampley , @Cody_Schultz , @Matt_Payne , @Ola_Jovall and @Lon_Overacker

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions.

As with my previous image I agree it is a little tight on the bottom, but believe me, sure was a mess in the original scene, so I decide to frame like that.
I feel good with the left/right balance framing.

So I decide to “build” some space in order to create a better frame using Content-aware fill and some degree of cloning and cleaning. Not perfect but kind of like it.

Once again, thank you for your replies

3 Likes

I love the new version! Content-aware fill is such a wonderful tool!