The Land of the Seven Dwarves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Or is it the Hobbits? I had to document this little figurine and his friend! This is an area of bonsai tufa that is now well away from the current shoreline of Mono Lake. (Los Angeles has diverted much of its water source since 1941, and it is now 30 ft below what it was then. In its shallow basin, that is a lot of lost shoreline.) The light was mid-day miserable and I only had my 1000mm lens, after going out for the Osprey and not knowing I would find something like this area. There is so much to shoot there I’ll have to go back again to even try to shoot it seriously.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 7.25.35 AM

Just Shadows up and Highlights down in LR, and a slight crop and denoise in PS.

1 Like

Hi Diane,
that looks really interesting… it’s definitely a dwarf :slight_smile:
But I wonder what it is that we are seeing. Is it some kind of rock?

Thanks, @Jens_Ober! This is a mineral deposit formed in a lake:

The dwarf is about 12-18" tall, and is in an area of very small formations that look like garden decorations. The tallest is maybe 2-3 ft high and they are not so much towers as complex things with some horizontal shelf-like areas. This would have been an area where the lake was quite shallow when they were formed. The more well-known areas are much bigger formations, up to 10-15 ft tall and formed in areas where the lake used to be much deeper.

And interestingly, the top picture in the article is the formation where the Osprey nest is, from my post of the one in flight – on the right-hand piece of the two towers in the center of the picture. I’m guessing these are about 15-20 ft tall. I should have photographed the larger scene, but didn’t. The lake is also now a little lower so the base of the structures is now just next to the water.

1 Like

Fascinating area, Diane. Thanks for the history and background info. Looks like a great place to explore.

Thanks, Diane. That was really interesting. I am always amazed at what nature produces.
It somehow reminds me of an area that I visited in South Tyrol in Italy: Earth Pyramids in Percha https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/earth-pyramids-of-platten

1 Like

Wow Diane, this is very unique and quiet the eye bender. My first thought before I read your description was that it was in water and the bottom section was a reflection. Then I noticed that the reflection wasn’t a mirror of the top. These would be very fun to photograph and worth a trip back. Thanks for the education!