THE PROTECTOR

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from the Tieton river.

Specific Feedback

Anything.

Technical Details

5DMKIV; 24/70 @48; ISO1600; 1/320th; 9.0; WB: cloudy; HH
Removed dark spots in ULC and LRC; lightened tops of rocks; dehaze; noise reduction. Lightened rock in UR to emphasize it as the threat.

2 Likes

Another really cool ice abstract Jim! Personally I would crop the rock or what ever it is on the upper right edge and maybe bring up the whites a little. Hope you don’t mind but I downloaded your image to see how it would look with these two adjustments.

Wonderful and surprising patterns and color, with amazing folds! It could almost be a drone shot. Of something… I like @Glenn_Tunaley’s crop. You could do the same thing with a distort to keep more of the original.

I agree with Diane that you could keep the right hand part which Glenn cropped out. I also found the black in the TR distracting but I do like the patterns lower down along that edge. I don’t get the reference to threat and protector. I just see it as a fascinating abstract which can stand alone as such. But I’d like to know why you gave it this title, Jim. Love it.

@Glenn_Tunaley @Diane_Miller @Mike_Friel Thank you all. I considered something along the lines of Glenn’s version, but my sometimes weird mind allows me to see things that maybe others may not, which gets me to Mike’s inquiry about the title. The cropped rock is a part of the reason for the title. I see someone holding something valuable and reaching out with the other arm to stop the rock from causing harm. I’ve attached a photo with that area outlined. I may be the only one who can see it.

1 Like

I see it now - looks a bit like Homer Simpson!

Jim, another great looking ice find. I see a distorted face. All the lines in the ice work well to keep my eyes wandering throughout the frame. My suggestion for the rock in the upper right is to dodge the dark rim, which will reduce how much attention it gets, especially since the rock blends in nicely both colorwise and in luminosity.

Jim: I like the rock and actually wish I could see more of it. Because of its color my eye goes there immediately and I almost completely disregard the left 1/3 of the image. A camera rotation to the right might have worked better for me or at least differently. Looks like a really target rich environment with all kinds of possibilities. Well done. >=))>

@Mike_Friel @Mark_Seaver @Bill_Fach Thank you for your comments. This is one one side of a very rocky side area of the Tieton River where there is very minimal flow allowing for shallow water. It does (did-next day ice gone) present all kinds of possibilities.

Now that you point it out I see a very small angel (wings) with a very big bat playing baseball. Isn’t the imagination wonderful with a little bit of vision to see the possibilities?