The Unfurling

Haven’t posted over here in quite awhile because I’ve really slacked off in my flora photography. The work presented over here is as great as always.
This shot is actually 11 years old. I really loved the graphic nature and colors of this hibiscus, but couldn’t find a decent BG to photograph it against. I’ll post the original.
I was playing around in PS the other day and cut it out and filled the BG with black.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 30D, 70mm, 1/60 @ f/8, ISO 200

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I love the unfurling look of this hibiscus too, Michael. Not sure that I have seen one in this position before, but enjoying the colors and textures of it. I like what you did with the black background, but really, I like the original as well. Not sure if it is the bud that is selling me, even though it is out of focus, or just that I like the greens around it in nature. Both are very good. Maybe on the original yo could vignette around the edges to draw the eye more to the subject. Excellent capture, and post processing.

Put me down for the black background. It really, really makes the flower pop with its vivid colors. Looks great.

Michael: Really nice work on isolating this beauty in processing. I do like the original also although its clearly a different image genre. I played around with the original a bit by cropping and applying a vignette and deepening the shadows. Great to have you back aboard and hope this is the first of many more. >=))>

1 Like

I really like what Bill did here.

1 Like

Mike,
Hard to pick a favorite because both are so different. The first reminds me of a studio setup with the black BG; which really makes the colors pop BTW. @Bill_Fach’s rework looks like a more natural scene if that makes sense. I don’t think you can go wrong with either version.

I love the version with the black background. It is an amazingly beautiful color palate. Well done!

You captured beautifully the folds and textures of the petals on this hibiscus. The black background emphasizes these attributes. The revision by Bill is more natural in its presentation. Both work well, but the final version should reflect your preference. Hope you continue to post in flora.