The Unyielding: Tasmania's Cheverton Rock

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image frames a solitary rock formation rising from the Tasmanian waters, its jagged surface a testament to the sculpting force of the sea. A multitude of birds have claimed this resilient outcrop as their home, their presence adding life to the timeless scene.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome

Technical Details

18 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄1000sec at ƒ/8

1 Like

Don, I enjoy seeing your country through your camera’s lens. The way the clouds point to the rock adds interest to the composition. B & W indeed emphasizes the textures in the rock and the waves. I find my eye looking for a point of interest in the many textures. The light area on the rock provides some interest. I am not sure that a scene like this provides that point without something of interest in the foreground.

2 Likes

Barbara, thanks for your kind words. Capturing scenes from a boat brings unique challenges, especially with foreground elements, but it’s all part of the adventure. I really appreciate your insights; they’re invaluable for refining my approach to future compositions.:pray:

Don, I’m with @Barbara_Djordjevic on seeing your sea or shoreline scenes. The B&W seems best for these seemingly isolated locations… :sunglasses:
I thought I saw some dust spots in the sky be realized after reading your comment and seeing many birds perched along the rocks they were probably seagoing / airborne visitors too… :thinking:

1 Like

@Paul_Breitkreuz @Barbara_Djordjevic

Thanks, Paul. Yes, they were birds. Cheverton Rock is approximately 2 to 3 kilometers off the nearest point of Tasmania’s east coast, a long way out.

I did a quick search on what birds are in the area and found the following:

The area around Tasmania is renowned for its seabird populations, with species such as the Short-tailed Shearwater (Puffinus tenuirostris) being particularly notable for their large, communal nesting sites on islands and islets. Other possible inhabitants or visitors could include the Pacific Gull (Larus pacificus), Silver Gull (Chroicocephalus novaehollandiae), and various species of terns like the Fairy Tern (Sternula nereis).

I think these could possibly be Little Pied Cormorants or Black-faced Cormorants.

Oh, Don, this is magnificent. Getting a shot like that from the boat takes considerable effort. Tripods and boats don’t get along. This tells the story of that rock in a most meaningful way. The birds are the stars, but the colors in the rock certainly set the stage.

1 Like

They almost look like penguins on ice out there… :+1:

1 Like

@Barbara_Djordjevic @Paul_Breitkreuz

Thanks Barbara, yes tripods are no help in a boat, I have many with horizon lines all over the place. Thought I’d post a color version as you mentioned them setting the stage.
:+1:
Didn’t smell like ice out there Paul. :rofl:

1 Like

Don, I find the color version more pleasing. My eye roams over the rock from light spot to light spot and isn’t distracted by the texture. But then we all see differently. I respond to color in complex pictures and find B&W more satisfying in settings that are less “busy”. The blues and warm browns are rich, and the variety of values of each color adds interest to the composition.