There Be Monsters

Sony A77
Sony 16-50 @ 20mm
ISO 200, 1/30 @ f11

I remember seeing medieval maps of uncharted oceans noting that “There be monsters” beyond the known world. I suspect that if those old sailors had come across rocks like this they would have indeed felt that ship eating monsters were about. Taken at Bandon, Oregon one foggy morn in October 2013. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Bill,

Great story! I think you’re absolutely right that the ancient sea travelers certainly would have had some imagination seeing these formations in the fog… And you’ve capture and illustrated that beautifully here.

We often wish for beautiful light, colors, etc. when photographing various locations, including the coast here. But there’s no reason why one can’t capture compelling images in conditions like this. Well done!

No nits or suggestions. I especially like the faint presence of the stacks in the distant right. Very cool.

Lon

Very ghostly and moody image. You might consider cloning the small rocks on the sand on the right. I love the shapes of the stacks.

Your title reminds me of Pirates of the Caribbean movie when Captain Barbosa says to Captain Jack Sparrow, “There be monsters!”.
–P

Great mood and sense of mystery. Real nice image. I agree with @Preston_Birdwell about the cloning. This turned out quite well.

Bill,
Great story to accompany this dreamy moody image. This has a nice air of mystery with the fog and I am enjoying the way the stacks in the BG recede into the mist. The soft delicate light works beautifully here. No suggestions from me.

Bill, this is great. There’s enough detail in the mid-ground stacks to create a sense of place even as it’s clear about the fog. The stacks disappearing on the right complete the mysterious, spooky mood. This is very well seen and presented.

This is the type of photo that keeps me exploring new beaches looking for sea stacks and rocks. These are reminiscent of images from Iceland or Northern Spain. I really like the mood you captured. I thought it might work in B&W but on my download it didn’t. Nice capture.