Through Thin Ice #5

I just had to join Bill in the “30 feet from the door” category :wink: with this repost from the old site. This is a view through a thin layer of ice on my backyard pond that captures some interesting ice shapes and the colors of the water lily leaves in the water under the ice. This was a 20 shot stack to get top to bottom sharpness in the ice.

5D3, 100-400 IS II @ 225 mm, 1/15 s, f/11, iso 800, tripod and polarizer

1 Like

I remember this series. Great images, this included.

Mark, I admit I’ve seen and recall several you’ve posted similar to this, and as Harley mentions a series of them over time. However, I do not recall this exact one and it moves to the top of my list of favorites of yours. This one is exceptional all around. No nit or slightest thought for change here…:+1:

I was hoping you would post some of these, Mark. The colors, patterns and shapes are all outstanding. It was a wonderful series.

A very sweet image, Mark. Some wonderful colors and textures in this abstract.

Mark: I love your ice abstracts. What makes them really special is that the same image can never be duplicated. Just superb. >=))>

I think that this is just wonderful! I love the warmth in the leaves under the ice. Most other images of ice that I’ve seen (mine included) are mostly cool and the warmth you have here is a nice change!

Beautiful intimate scene. Curious why you chose ISO 800? Was the ice moving?

Richard, between the wind possibly moving the ice up and down, the short working distance (< 6 feet), the polarizer, and needing lots of dof to insure slice overlap, ISO 800 was needed. I’ve tried stacks like this at slower shutter speeds and had to throw most of them out due to ice motion.

Another beauty from your pond. This one is endlessly fascinating.