Tide's Out + Repost

Haven’t done a weekly challenge in a long time so fun to be back. This was a beach scene along the CT shore several years ago in January, during the golden hour. Sony a77II, Tamron 16-300 mm @ 150 mm, ISO 250, f/13, 1/100 on a tripod. All comments and suggestions are welcome, especially on the composition, and thanks for viewing.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

The patterns and lines of this photo are wonderful! I think that I might crop a sliver off the top just where the patterns stop. Might make a nice B&W photo, also. Very nicely done.

Dick: Interesting patterns indeed. I can see Chris’ idea of a crop on the top but I would be more inclined to crop significantly from the bottom. I played with some B&W but I’m horrible at conversions so I might leave that to others more competent than I. Well seen and captured. >=))>

@Jim_Lockhart, this is a great find! Congratulations on seeing these patterns in the landscape and capturing them so well. I agree with both Chris and understand what Bill is saying, regarding the cropping. I think cropping a little from the top and bottom might actually enhance and focus the patterns. The top part Chris mentioned, to my eye, makes a bowing effect, as if the image has been warped on the top, but I think it’s the just disruption in the pattern and the slight arch that is formed. I suspect cropping that will eliminate some of the distraction at the top. Overall, it’s a wonderful study of an intimate landscape and an eye-catching pattern that you captured. Nice work!

Jim, the pattern that you’ve captured here is outstanding. While I could possibly see a slight crop from the top, I’m enjoying how the pattern changes from bottom to top, including the smooth bit at the very top. For me, those changes in the pattern add extra interest.

Great looking patterns and color. I would agree with the slight top crop suggestion, as that eye tends to pull my attention there. Minor. Well seen and executed.

You demonstrate excellent seeing with this image. Obviously, pattern is everything here. The “s” shapes and the grooves in the sand are the elements that matter to me. I would crop both from the top as @Chris_Baird suggested and also from the bottom per @Bill_Fach. I’d make the bottom crop where the s shapes start. I think the other pattern in the foreground competes with the main element. This is a wonderful image, and my comments do not diminish it in any way. I also agree that it is also a candidate for B&W.

Thanks to all, @Chris_Baird, @Bill_Fach, @Jimmy_Arcade, @Mark_Seaver, @Harley_Goldman, and @Larry_Greenbaum for all of your helpful critiques. I could readily see the need for some cropping and was intrigued by the idea of making it B&W, because it was pretty monotone to begin with. As for processing the conversion, I did increase the blue slider from 11 to 40, then bumped up the tone curves a bit which seemed to add contrast, so I’m pretty happy with the final result. Original proportions were sacrificed due to the cropping.

1 Like

Jim: This is pretty much what I was suggesting and I think you carried it off well. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Hi @Jim_Lockhart, yes I like the re-worked version of this image too. I think it works well in both color and B&W. From my perspective, the choices you made on the cropping really improved the image and helped to draw attention to the lovely patterns and away from the distracting elements. Well executed! :clap:

I love all those lines in this image, Jim, and the red sand is very cool. Amazing to get such parallel formations. I wonder what it would look like with the foreground removed so it’s just the parallel ridges with the water between.