Time to rest

Now that it is cold, dark and winter. I am going to work my way back into the summer archives.
This shot was taken on Oct 5, at 8:30AM. A number of Egrets and Heron were starting to form up for the trip south. This one had just dropped into a small group, to rest before heading out.
I am posting the original frame and my effort to remove some of the reeds. This is not DxO finest point.
Thank you for stopping by
Peter

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7Dll, Sigma 150-600mm, F8, 1/4000, 335mm, ISO 400, -1EV. The shot is hand-held from the Zodiac and I repair-cloned out some of the reeds.

A nice image, Peter. I like the wing position and the head angle. Removing the top of that one big reed really did all that was necessary for my taste. The reeds in front of the bird are part of the scene. Nicely done.

You got an excellent pose. I like image two. The deep grass looks great and don’t get rid of that Zodiac. You got nice and close and eye level or a little below. Nice.

Love the pose, and I like the environment. Agreed that cloning out the most obstructive reeds helped a lot. Detail looks good, but I still think you could wring more out. I believe you’re losing detail by running noise reduction on the bird. To avoid that, I’d suggest sharpening the bird separate from the background and then running noise reduction on the BG only (you can do both in Photoshop).

Hi Dennis, David & Lyyle
Thanks for all the comments. First the Zodiac is here to stay and that is a great suggestion Lyle, but Photoshop - Lightroom classic will not run on Mac OS Big Sur.
Peter

Hi Peter,

Your composition is very good and like how you were able to tease away some of those reeds. The reeds do make a nice band of color across the canvas and work well with the blue sky. LKyle’s suggestion for reworking noise reduction is constructive and should help to reduce the blending or smearing of the details on the egret. Good job on this photo…Jim