Time Trails

An image of the amazing Sydney or Hawkesbury sandstone found all around the area I live. This creation was under an overhang about 80ft up.

Sydney sandstone is the common name for Sydney Basin Hawkesbury Sandstone, one variety of which is historically known as Yellowblock, and also as “yellow gold” a sedimentary rock named after the Hawkesbury River north of Sydney, where this sandstone is particularly common.

Specific Feedback Requested

Happy for any feedback.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Don, apologies for the delay in responding. Wow, I thought this was a water reflection image at first. Really fascinating image. Love the swirling patters especially the center section. Awesome earthy colors as well.

Have you considered a crop to focus on the center patterns? The darker corners on the upper right and lower left pull my eye away a bit.

1 Like

Hi Don! I also thought this was a water reflection at first. The texture and patterns are excellent. Nice job with the lighting and detail. Well seen and captured!

1 Like

Thanks Steve! :pray:

No problem, thanks Alfredo! I did shoot some more detailed images, I’ll pull them up and compare. Thanks for the feedback! :pray: :+1:

I love what you were seeing here! It does at first glance appear to be a water reflection. The central area of the image is the most intriguing, I agree with others about the upper right and lower left dark areas being a bit distracting. I wonder too if you, when cropping, were to rotate the image just slightly to take that strong line out of being horizontal? It might add to the image. Just a thought. It’s already pretty cool!

1 Like

Thanks Brenda. I see what you are saying especially where dominant line is not exactly level. I did a bit of cloning because when I cropped out the corners I lost some of the centre detail. I have ended up with more of a square crop which seems to keep all of the detail. Let me know what you think. Thanks again.

2 Likes

Well I like this crop, and actually with the dominant line falling where it does in the current framing, it’s a 1/3-2/3 ratio of space that works well.

1 Like

Thanks Brenda! :pray: