Tiny Jumping Spider at 2X

This little, and I mean little guy has been hanging out in the same area of the Spiderwort plant, which helps me locate him, that and the sunlight glimmering in his eyes. Length wise, he probably isn’t much longer than an ant, I think.

I had ordered a new monopod with the 3-leg accessory. I used it, with my old Canon MP-E 65mm 1-5X at 2X. It helped me get a good sharp focus by leaning in and out and clicking when I saw his eyes sharp. A few misses but got some keepers too. I have had that lens for years, and had given up using it, but between the monopod with the 3 legs, and the flash setup I use, it worked.

Specific Feedback Requested

I cropped this to 8 1/2 X11 format for future use. Does this work for this image? Anything else you think might help improve it.

Technical Details

Shot with Canon 5D Mark IV, MP-E 65mm 1-5X at 2X on a monopod with 3 leg footing. using KX-800 twin flash with homemade diffuser (still working on it, as I seem to be getting an extra tip of white reflection at the top of his eyes). Manual settings all the way, including focus (this lens has no autofocus) at f9, 1/200, ISO 320. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear, mainly highlights/shadows, exposure, and a crop.

2 Likes

Wow, Shirley! How in the world do you get them to hold still? When I see these little fellows they are all over the place! When I zoom in real close, yes I can see the diffuser reflections, but when zoomed out the reflection is so soft it doesn’t draw my attention at all. The soft green/purple backdrop is nice. … however, I’m a little hung up on the left side. It feels just a bit heavy with all of the foliage there. . .but I can’t come up with any suggestions on how to fix that given where he was located. Perhaps others will have ideas. The soft lighting, along with the look on his face, make for a great capture. Nicely done.

1 Like

For sure you are the jumping spider whisperer. These tiny guys are so wonderful and springy. Wonderful it sat still for you. You’ve mastered that flash set up, too. I think you could lose a bit on the left and maybe add a little exposure on the wee spoog.

2 Likes

Wow, what a great, tiny macro shot, Shirley. I think the luminosity could be upped a bit, as it seems a bit dark. Although that adds a sense of “foreboding” too. In any case, awesome capture.

1 Like

That’s a super lens, for sure, @Shirley_Freeman , and you’ve used it, and the flash set-up, so well. My only minor suggestion would be to clone out the extra reflections. Great macro.

1 Like

Wonderful!!! Amazing detail where it needs to be! The reflections don’t bother me but could be cloned. The OOF mass on the left side feels out of balance. I wonder if you can find him there again if you could move to the right a bit? But kudos for finding and framing him as it is!! Those monopod feet do look interesting.

1 Like

Shirley: What a skillfully done shot! I think you made the most out of difficult conditions and came up with a marvelous result. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like