Tip Toe Through the Turkey Tail

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this log that was absolutly covered in Turkey Tail mushrooms in the Urbana State Forest in Upstate New York. I find these mushrooms hard to pass up when ever I find them.

Specific Feedback

Any is welcom.

Technical Details

Canon EOS R5

2.5 Sec @ f8
ISO 100 105 mm

I love it, Todd. I don’t think I’ve ever seen them so dense and they make a wonderful abstract. If you wanted to get carried away, you could do all sorts of things with this geometry and patterns.

Fantastic abstract image and title Todd! The patterns look great. As Dennis mentioned, there are many possibilities here with various cropping and compositions to further isolate the geometry. Great find and thanks for posting!

Great find and great capture Todd, and agree with Alfredo about the limitless possibilities for cropping and composition. I’m enjoying it just because I love fungi as subjects. These are also desirable for being so flat. Also, an idea: Three metal prints hung together, to include this one, some identically patterned Lake SuperiorAgate slices and an identically patterned turkey tail.

Gorgeous find and presentation, with pristine specimens! There are dozens of closer compositions here, and that keeps my eye engaged.

First, I love it just as it is - clean, sharp, and full of pattern to delight the eye. A few others mentioned compositions ‘within’ and I agree - there are definitely a variety of images that could be made in addition to this one. This image is perhaps more a sharp clean study of the fungi, and less an abstract; if you were closer in, bringing the pattern in the rings closer, it becomes more abstract. This is an extreme crop that I did just for reference, of course, but it hopefully helps you see what I am saying. Great spotting on this one, however, it’s not often you get a log so full and such great shape on the fungi!