Calling all turkeys!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Turkey tail fungi, discovered while going through some old folders, taken January 2021. Probably on a quick hike with only my phone with me. Could not find a more perfect specimen so settled on this one with the tear. Love seeing splashes of color in an otherwise drab Winter landscape.

Specific Feedback

All comments and suggestions are welcome and thanks for viewing.

Technical Details

Samsung Galaxy S10e, ISO 200, f/2.4, 1/60, 26mm. Tweaked exposure a little, cropped about 1/3, and sharpened in post.

I like your composition Jim. The sharpening on the turkey-tail feels pretty good, but the log in front of it feels a bit too gritty and pulls attention away from the fungus. I could also see cropping more tightly from the bottom and right to reduce the out of focus foreground log.

Valid points, thanks for pointing them out @Dennis_Plank. Would a mask have been better to just sharpen the fungus?

Hi Jim. That’s what I usually do. I got in the habit with bird photography to isolate the subject and treat it separately.

Jim: I’ll be lazy and just say ditto to Dennis. I do wish the BG was less distracting as well but hard to get more blur with a phone camera. My I-Phone 13 does have a portrait mode that helps but I’m unfamiliar with your phone’s capabilities. I might let PS do some selective blurring if you have the inclination and time but this does work OK for me. Nice find for sure and a solid capture. >=))>

Thanks for the input Bill. I notice the f-stop was 2.4 and as I recall, that green foliage was pretty close in the BG, so post-processing would be the only solution to blurring the BG more.