Turkey Tails

Image Description

A spot of diffused sunlight lit a small area of this log making it stand out.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I realized the contrast between the highlights and dark areas would make a good black and white image.

It does indeed create an excellent image. One of the reasons I think it works so well is the shapes of the edges of the fungi, They have a very fluid and smooth outline against the blackness. The branch diagonal works well and leaves enough space for the fungi to work against.

My only real criticism of the picture is that I think the vignette is too strong. I tend to think that if a processing artefact draws my eye, it has failed to some extend and I can’t help but see that the top left fungi is very dark compared to the others. I’ve lightened things a little to show how I might post process it to balance things better (in my opinion, of course).

Hey Garry - turkey tails are so photogenic and the spread of them you have here is enhanced by the choice to go diagonal with their placement. I agree with Tim that the vignette is too obvious in this and looks better removed or greatly reduced. Nice job lining up as many of the mushrooms with the focal plane and I think the monochrome conversion works well.