Toad trilling #1

The Eastern Toads started singing (it’s a very long trill) in the runoff control pond next door Thursday night. They are much more tolerant when it comes to me approaching than are the frogs, so I can move in slowly and they only stop singing for a few minutes (not 15-30 minutes like the frogs). It’s also fascinating that there are only a few males singing, while there are many more males lurking without singing. They only sing when they can sit on the bottom and have their throat pouch mostly (or entirely) out of the water. (7D2, 100-400 @ 400, 1/320 s, f/16, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Mark, that is way too cool. I don’t think I have ever seen one “singing”. A very nice action shot of the toad in his environment. I enjoyed the story behind it as well. Very nice.

Fascinating, Mark. Neither frogs nor toads have shown up here yet. Great capture.

Great observations and shot, Mark. If only we humans realised that only a few can sing properly!

Mark: A face only a mother could love but a really good find and a fine capture of the action. Most excellent.>=))>

1 Like