Together

Image: Together

Description: I’m often amazed by the roots of trees, what I can see like this Hemlock root wrapped around a boulder, and what we can only imagine is happening below ground. Either way, many of them have been here much longer than I and will continue long after I am gone. This is a root I walk several times a year and continue to find it challenging to photography successfully.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Sony 6000, 1/100, f/9.0, 55mm, ISO2000.

Nice couple you have there. I’m always drawn to scenes like this in the forest, but seldom photograph them, and never this well. The scattering of twigs on the snow is nice and so indicative of the rhythm and flow of how a forest works. The crunchy snow texture is interesting and I like the spread of moss on the boulder itself. I think the big trunk and the darker rock on the opposite side make for good framing elements. I could see blurring the bg a bit more if you have a mind and maybe cloning that stick the goes from the back of the rock out of frame.

Hey John thanks for the inspiration – I’m going to get out in the melting snow in our local mountains and look for subjects peeking through the white. This is a high-potential subject but I think Kristen put her finger on it when she called out the twigs on the snow. In my view, the image opportunity is in the fine detail and so I’d like to see a closer composition. The reddish root, the rock, the lichen or moss on the rock, the contrasting snow all look great together and there’s a nice curve to the mix, but I can’t see them well enough.

Thank you both for your thoughts. I’m not sure this repost works any better but wanted to try it. I think the photo just needs better light and probably stacking.

I really like this shot, John! I think the snow is very important as it frames and highlights both the rock and the roots. It wouldn’t be as nice if it was similar color dirt all around instead of the snow. I’m torn between the wider version you posted first or the closer version. The wider version shows more context and tells the story better while the closer crop puts the focus on the rock and root details. I think the light is fine although slightly over exposed (some of the snow on the rock is blown out) and I don’t see where you needed to do any focus stacking. The large version is a bit soft but a little sharpening can fix that. Here’s a version that I sharpened a bit: