Topsy Turvey

Reflection Lakes, Mount Rainier NP
I get more comments on this image at my office than almost all the others combined. Folks are sure it is upside down until they look carefully and see the skim of ice on the water. I posted this once on the old site with the mountain at the bottom and everyone wondered what kind of clouds those were. I’ll post that version as well just for fun. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback Requested

any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Sony A77II
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 SSM at 40mm, CPL
ISO 100, .8 sec @ f11

2 Likes

Bill, I remember this scene. The perfection of the mountain’s reflection is amazing. The contrast of that with the lines in the ice is very striking. While the inverted view really gives the viewer pause, I prefer the regular view…maybe it’s my “ice thing”. :grin:

Yes, Mark, in my view the ice saves the photo (the right side up one!). Reflections almost always bring with them the “problem” of upside down things but you’ve resolved it here. The focus is amazing.

Bizarrely beautiful!! That has to be the cleanest reflection ever!

Ha ha, Bill, I love reflections such as this one, and you do need the quiet water to pull it off. It reminds me of one I took of a lighthouse reflected in a tidal pool up in Maine. Great lighting and composition for both. Some of the ice looks like a feather, so interest there also.

@Bill_Fach That reflection is amazingly sharp and clear! Having the ice opposite the mountain is interesting, and feel like it kind of balances the mountain or keeps it from falling out of the frame. :slight_smile: Beautiful and a fun conversation piece.