Topsy Turvy

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

In 2014 Chrissy and I dovetailed a medical conference in Seattle with a side trip to Mount Rainier, Olympic and North Cascades NPs. A few days before we left the government shut down and closed all the national parks. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: We pivoted and instead toured down the Oregon coast and had a very enjoyable and productive trip. As we headed back north to the meeting the parks reopened so we had a couple days to visit Mount Rainier. I’ve posted this image oriented with the “weird clouds” in the sky and had all kinds of folks scratching their heads until I flipped it to the proper alignment of this perfect reflection with a skim of ice in the FG lake. I have a large print of the reflection in my office and it probably gets more comments than the rest of the images combined. Everyone wants to flip it over until I explain about the ice. This was an incredibly still morning and besides the perfect reflection I could hear every bird singing as clear as a bell. I’m glad the politicians got their act together and made this possible. >=))>

Technical Details

Sony A77
Sony DT 16-50 f2.8 @ 40mm
ISO 100, .8 sec @ f11

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
2 Likes

This is beautiful Bill. It looks crystal clear. Amazing to get this mirror image of Rainier.

Bill, How well you flip flop. Hopefully, the current political flip will be sustained and not melt in November. Are both the top and bottom images on your wall? They make a nice diptych. Most creative. The crispness of the detailed ice is wonderful. Nice humor here too.

Bill, I remember this surprising view. Easy to see why folks comment/ask about it.

Dang, that is very cool!! I love the flipped version! No nits from me.