Tough Old Bird

These are two different views of a favorite tree in Lost Maples State Natural Area near Vanderpool, Texas. I took these several years ago and I had hoped to shoot it again last week when I visited but alas I couldn’t find it in the limited time I had in the park. I hope it still lives and hasn’t succumbed to the ravages of time. All comments welcome. >=))>

2 Likes

I like both views of this fine old tree. I might burn the rocks ULC in the wider view, but no other suggestions. Good to see this old guy.

I like them both Bill, but am drawn a bit more to the second version. The colors and the details are wonderfully fall, for me. Truly beautiful photos.

Wow, these are my kinds of images. I really like the reflection in the water of the first one and I really like the intimacy of the second one. I am not too bothered by the ULC of the first one but yeah can definitely be toned down a little bit. No nites on the second one at all. I think these are processed beautifully.

Great images @Bill_Fach
I really like both. I think however that something could be done to emphasize the color and tonal separation in the wide shot, i quickly attempted to change some things to do so
I darkened the ULC and the Bottom to create a vignette and which i think helps drawing the eye to the colorful tree and make it pop
On the tree itself, i darkened the highlight increased vibrance a bit and add some contrast .

Please take my suggestions with a grain of salt i am by no means an advanced shooter

The close up one i think is perfect if only there was fog to simplify the clutter in the background

Aref: I like what you’ve done with your adjustments. Good to have you checking out NPN and I hope you continue to share your work and opinions. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

I love craggy old trees that cling to life with tenacity and survive, if not thrive, in the toughest of conditions. I lean toward the first one, Bill simply because I enjoy seeing the environment in which these trees grow. However, they are both fine shots that make me ponder the history and future of this tree.

Bill, I remember view #2 (or one very similar) and was pretty sure it was you from the thumb, before I started reading. Both views look great, with a fine mix of colors and shapes. They do tell very different stories.

I like the first one because of the color warmth in the water. The leading lines of the Creek also bring me into the wonderful tree which is strategically placed in the frame.