Tree Smoke + Rework

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While walking around the track with my wife at a local park, I kept noticing the way the afternoon light was hitting the crepe myrtle trees. So, the next afternoon, I went over at about the same time of day to play around. I just wasn’t getting what I really thought I was seeing. As I was deciding to pack it in, I thought I would try a little ICM on this one tree. Up until recently, I mostly just moved the camera directly up & down or left & right. During a talk by Stephanie Johnson and her ICM work, she talked about moving the camera any which way. So, with this tree, that’s just what I did. Finally, I started getting something cool from the day.

Specific Feedback

General ideas on the ICM are welcome.

Technical Details

Canon R
ISO 100
0.16 sec at f/32
24-240mm at 100mm

Nice work Patrick! I love the interplay of light and shadow which provides this interesting weaving pattern especially in that upper section. Kudos for experimenting with ICM. The motion looks great as does the black and white edit.

An an alternate perspective, did you consider flipping and cropping in to lose the trunk of the trees? This view reminds me of a braided river from Iceland.

I like this, Patrick. The tones and patterns are very nice. To my eye, the balance is just a bit off with little to hold my eye along the right side, but a lot on the left. I think a bit of rotation to the right and a slight crop might make it work even better than it does now. The degree of motion you used worked extremely well to create an abstract feel for this image.

@Alfredo_Mora and @Dennis_Plank thanks for your suggestions. I’m not usually one to flip photos, though I see what you are getting at. And I’d be excited if I could ever get to Iceland and come away with something as neat as what you did with inverting the image.
As far as balance, ah, I do now see how I keep drifting to the left at the white branch. I cropped from the bottom just a bit and did a small rotation that it did need. I also dodged the lighter area in the UR to hopefully add a bit of balance in the tones. I think I do like the way this cleaned up just that little bit more. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Patrick, you’ve got a fine sense of dancing here. The improved “verticality” in the rework gives this a better balance. I suggest two things to try (with the caveat that you may or may not like the results, isn’t nondestructive processing great…) 1) burning-in the brightest tones along the bottom. 2) Dodging the middle darks in the upper right corner…to pull a bit more attention there, which may improve the “balance”

1 Like

I really like the rework, Patrick. A lovely image that holds my attention and bears repeated viewing.

1 Like

ICM photography is a cool style of creating something unique with an image!!! You nailed it !!! Beautiful flow of light and soft vibe !!! Works great in black and white. Great Tone !!!

1 Like

Beautiful work. The rework is a noticeable improvement. Actually I like them both equally.

1 Like