Tricanna - SCBG#3

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400GII @ 330mm
ISO 200, 1/50 @ f11
On my tour of the South Coast Botanical Gardens I came across this peachy canna. I liked all three versions of the captures, RAW in the center, Watercolor Mode on the left and Illustration Mode on the right so I thought I would make a triptych of sorts. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

The result of subtle changes in mode, background lighting and softness are presented nicely in your triple display. Great idea implemented well.

Wonderful photo and nicely presented. The colors and detail in the original are exquisite. I do like the idea of being able to compared the different version. I think I prefer the “watercolor” version for the soft feel . . . Very nicely done Bill.

Bill, this is a beautiful flower, which I am not familiar with, so I am guessing it is more of a west coast flower. All three versions are nice, but I like the middle one the best. The details show up better in the petals, etc. Glad you had the chance to visit a Botanical Garden. I usually get out to ours a few times by this time of the year, but so far have not even checked to see if they are opened back up. I am just thankful that I have a little flower garden, so when I can, I slip out back and see if anything is willing to pose. My back went out this morning, so no photography today! I think that is cool that your Sony does different versions right in camera though. That must be fun.

A beautiful plant with gorgeous color and very well photographed. In this instance, I’m going to be old fashioned and go with the RAW version because I love the textures in the petals. The illustration mode would be my second choice. For some reason the white rims around the petals in the water color mode bother my eye.

What a lovely idea, Bill ! The centre group, more brightly lit, carries the day with the two variations nicely framing it - that RAW image remains for me the strongest as well.

Bill,

Tell me you did a focus stack! This is sharp front to back at f/11? Ok, I get you’re at 330mm and I suppose far enough away that you managed excellent dof… Anyway, very impressive.

I’ve got to go with the original capture as well. the details, texture and luminosity all come together well. Great experimenting with the other filters and they are beautiful as well. The watercolor on the left doesn’t go far enough to elevate it to something better and with the loss of texture, I prefer the original. Illustration mode is pretty cool. I think the edge outlines do transform this enough to make it stand alone.

Putting these together in the triptych format works quite beautifully.

Lon

Lon: I am an unrepentant single capture guy. I appreciate what can be done with stacking and there are times where I really think I should broaden my horizons but for me the capture is the challenge and the less time I have to spend on a computer and with software the better. I do wear out my DOF preview button and one of the indispensable features of the EVF in my cameras is focus peaking. It also helps that my subjects rarely try to run away from me. :wink: Thanks for the comment. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, ll three are winners. thanks for sharing all three… larry