Twin Towers

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Mercer Arboretum in Northeast Houston is one of my favorite places for tropicals and water lilies. Unfortunately, since this was taken in 2019 we have had a series of killing frosts in the winters and many of the plants died and have not recovered or been replaced. This Ginger plant was thriving back then but there are few left.

Specific Feedback

There is some focus fall off near the bottom. I tried to mask the OOF FG leaf in the LRC with my copyright but wonder if that’s too much of a distraction.

Technical Details

Sony A77II
Minolta 200mm macro
ISO 200, 1/40 @ f8

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Hi Bill! Sweet image with perfect DOF, lovely colours and comp.
The small OOF leaf in the lower right kind of distracts me a bit, although it does balance the image

Bill, I like your use of the “copyright mask”. You could have burned that leaf I suppose but it doesn’t bother me. I also like the composition. And that bug in the right-hand flower is an interesting touch. You could have stopped down a bit, but the focus fall-off emphasizes the beautiful flowers, so all-in-all, a success.

Bill, the gentle magenta/white of the top flowers is beautiful, while the rest of the flower stalks add lots of interest and eye movement. Some heavy burning-in of the bright leaf at the bottom would probably minimize it’s attention, but your copyright does a decent job of that as well (and it’s a lot less processing).