Two Medicine Lake Reflection

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the fact that I discovered this composition by accident. I wasn’t in the mind set of looking and shooting something intimate or different from a wide angle shot of the lake and mountains like I wanted. I think the colors of the rocks need some improvement.

Creative direction

I’d like the viewer to see this as abstract of nature. I did shoot this as a vertical but felt this square crop worked best.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback on how to improve the mood and feel of this as an abstract. I’d like to do more photos like this and improve in this area more, as to add more to my portfolio similar to this photo.

Technical Details

Nikon D850
70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8
95.00 mm
13.0 sec
f/16
ISO 160

Description

This was shot last autumn in Glacier National Park, on Two Medicine Lake at sunrise. This was my first trip to Glacier and I was completely blown away by it’s beauty.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Very nice. I really like the “suspension” of the rocks in the nifty reflecting colors and the square cropping works just fine. If this were mine, I wouldn’t change a thing.

Chris, this is a fine look into this reflection, with the rocks adding a touch of realism. The rocks may be a bit too blue, but I remember that lots of Glacier’s rocks are quite colorful.

I like the square crop too. I think the photo has a broad range of luminosity and find the dark rocks balanced by the golden reflections. The green trees add a bit of realism to the overall palette. The rocks to seem to float, but in my opinion, they really float if you rotate the photo 180 degrees. The trees are then right way up, anchoring the bottom and the rocks above float near the cliff face. You might like this as one step further into the abstract. The small rocks, now in the top left hand corner do not seem to add much to a great photo.

Wow, I love the colors and the reflections in this image Chris. Those golds and greens are well anchored by the grey/blue of the rocks, with just enough definition from the reflected trees. Wonderful.