Utopia

When I saw this scene in the dense fog I first took the glow from above. I like the idea that the tree with the last autumn foliage still tries to strive for the unattainable. The bare branches above him still support this. Despite the dark scenerie, such images awaken the feeling of hope in me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Every criticism is welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

martinkleuters.photography

7 Likes

I think this is wonderful! I love the FG tree and the sprinkle of leaves above it, which almost give the impression that leaves have fallen on it like snowflakes. The BG trees fading into the fog with wonderful shapes are simply gorgeous! My only suggestion might be to soften/lighten the horizontal limb exiting the frame on the left.

1 Like

This is quite cool Martin! The scene has a great ethereal atmosphere. I like the colours and the the mood. My only point of CC is the dark upper right corner. It really draws the eye. I would consider a combination or selection of the following

1. Up the lights/whites selectively
  2. Some negative dehaze (it may over soften it)
  3. Same with some negative clartiy

You just want to lighten it a bit to balance out with the rest of the scene.

Cheers,
Eugene

1 Like

Very interesting compositionā€¦a tale of two circles. Nice graphic ā€œfigure of 8ā€ appearance with the colored leaves in the FG below and the misty light in the BG above. It does appear leftward leaning due to the prominence of brightness on the L. side of the upper image, so I agree with @Eugene_Theron regarding balance as he pointed out nicely.

It appears as if the upper half of the image is B&Wā€¦was the upper portion of the image desaturated? If so, it works well in this image.

1 Like

Martin,

Every once in a while a photograph is posted here on NPN that I think could define a style. This is one of those photographs. It is vey unique. I love how the small, maple is it not, is occupying the lower third of the frame very dominantly, while it is surrounded by light, filtered through fog, and the fog obscuring the surrounding trees. It has the feel of a hand painted black and white, while it clearly is not. It has mood, depth, and an uncanny essence that holds oneā€™s attention. I think you have a wonderful photo. My only real critique is that in the larger version, it does not hold much detail. It makes me wonder what resolution sensor you used, or perhaps the lack of detail is due to the ISO setting or the lens used. You did not give any technical information.

2 Likes

I love the concept of this image, @Martin9. The tree below is protected by the more mature trees above. The light is interesting.

Technically I have some questions. Regarding focus, tell me if Iā€™m mistaken because Iā€™m only viewing this at the moment on my phone but it appears the closest bare branches at the lowest center appear very sharp while the leaves appear slightly fuzzy.

Regarding the vignette, the right side appears greater than the left, plus it seems very gray or even brown instead of dark or black as Iā€™m used to. Perhaps Iā€™m seeing things.

Regardless, I really like the brooding emotion of this image.

1 Like

First of all thanks for the great and detailed reviews. I often wonder how much retrospective work is still ok in a picture and from when you have worked too much in. In this picture I actually had this vision as described above and I knew from the beginning that I had to cut it but I thought it would work if I could leave more of the forest in the upper. However, this led to a strong imbalance and I limited the image to this one. I only started taking pictures a year ago and working on the rework. With some pictures I already have a good workflow with others it takes longer until I get to the vision. In this case I had a lot of work and tried a lot. I think the loss of quality is partly because I have to remove through a circular haze and add clarity to a vignette around the shrub and the branches in the middle and on the other hand unfortunately I have not concentrated directly on this cut. I also planned this picture from the beginning as a pure digital image, if there should be such a category, because I was aware of the loss of quality. Please correct me if I am totally wrong with it, but I define between the editing of an image which I present digitally and which I print, frame and hang. I uploaded the original picture where they will all see what I edited. Can you please give me a feedback if your opinion has been processed too much. I am aware that this is of course always in the eye of the beholder how much is reworked. And that there are so many factors to consider. I would like to get a better feeling for it so please be honest. Best greetings and thanks for their attention.

Nikon D750 Tamron SP 70 - 300 mm ISO 160 95mm f/14 1/10 sec
@Matt_Lancaster @Diane_Miller @Youssef_Ismail @Jim_McGovern @Eugene_Theron And a revised version.

1 Like

Martin,

Even without seeing the original now, my first impression is a great one. I think Youssef said it quite well and I donā€™t wish to repeat his words - but this is unique and has great impact. I wouldnā€™t say this brings me ā€œhopeā€¦ā€ :slightly_smiling_face:ā€¦ but clearly there is a message of transition, the stages of life, etc.

Commenting just on the original, my initial feedback would be to even out the vignette a bit - as the URC area is heavier than the rest. I do like the effect of the lighter background in the upper part, but the UR is a bit dark/muted and throws the balance off just a little. I do really like your processing here and it certainly doesnā€™t look overprocessed to me - even after seen the original.

Speaking of the original - wow, great job extracting your final vision! Knowing what you had to work with - and this is my vision, not yours, I could see including more of the bg ghost forest while at the same time giving your autumn tree your original treatment. I think the juxtaposition between a smaller in-frame autumn tree against the mystery , mood and atmosphere of the foggy forest would be greatly enhanced with the inclusion of more forest. Just my .02.

Wonderful image - with many possibilities.

Lon

1 Like

Moody and mysterious; I love this Martin! This is dripping with atmosphere as the lighting and mist are flat out gorgeous in this woodland scene. I have no suggestions. Congrats on your WP as it is well deserved.

1 Like

Wow. Your vision to see the final version from the original is true art; I love it. Your edited version is just wonderful.

1 Like