Vermilion Flycatcher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Waited for takeoff and taken at fast shutter speed 1/2500

Technical Details

Sony A-1 with 200-600 mm lens at 600, 1/2500 sec f6.3

1 Like

Wow, what a pose of a very cool looking bird. I’m also struck by the environment. I would’ve cloned out that little white area in the upper right corner, I think. I think you have a wall-hanger here.

Beautiful, with wonderful detail, colors and light! I think the crop is good for the environment – the BG is soft and lovely so the dried seed heads and stalks don’t feel too busy. I agree about the small spot in the UR corner, and I’d add the one on the bottom edge.

Nice to see you posting in Avian, Larry. I really like the composition and the palette in this image. The pose of the flycatcher is just great. You might think about removing the two minimal seed heads poking into the frame on the right, but they aren’t really a big deal.

Really nice capture Larry. Love the spread wings and red head. Exposure seems spot on. Nice setting with the stalks and blurred out background. Though minor, another vote for taking out the partial seed heads. Well done.