Vermillion Fly Catcher-Female

The pair were busy at work and usually the male is pictured because of the brilliant red. I thought the female was equally resplendent on her perch and deserved equal time. Female birds rarely get their due.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R6, Canon 100-500, f/7.1, 1/3200sec, ISO1600.
LR, Cropped 50%
Any comments appreciated.

1 Like

Charlie: A nice portrait of this lovely female. The color palette is very nice as is the pose and perch. The thing that keeps distracting me is the rather “crunchy” background. I did a quick subject selection, inverted and just used negative texture to soften things up a bit. A small custom shaped vignette was also applied.

I like it. Very nice. Thanks

Keith’s rework hits the spot. She’s gorgeous and I’m glad you took the time with her. Genetic adaptation to favor her offspring’s genes rather than her own make her able to better conceal eggs and nestlings, but often get her called ‘drab’ by comparison. Males with their bright colors and often crazy behaviors are fun to watch though and sure make their mates happy. If you wanted you could clone out a few of the little stray branches in the LRC.

Awesome image. Keith did help to isolate the bird a bit. Nice!

Nice bird, in pleasant colors! Love the head turn here. The rework done by Keith makes the image even stronger in my opinion. Best, Hans

Great advice. I did rework it with the other suggestions and blurred the background more. Now am wondering if it too much. Let me know what you think.
Thanks

1 Like