Walk on the Beach w/ Repost

Revised:

Original:

Another shot in the fog from the Oregon Coast trip with @John_Williams. At least we could actually see the beach.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure I would have posted this image if it wasn’t for @Lon_Overacker’s post Dune Life. I like the image for the layers and the birds, but not sure it has value to keep. I would love to know your thoughts.

Technical Details

D850, 70-200 at 190mm, 1/500 sec, f/16, ISO 200 handheld

1 Like

Hi Steve,
That bird upper right is nice… I think the human element here is somewhat distracting, but I almost always feel that way about people in my photographs, lol.
The bottom right is quite bright and I’m not sure it adds much to the photo. I could use more contrast in general here, perhaps darkening the darker areas a bit. The right side feels much brighter than the left… in general my eye kind of feels a bit lost here as I’m not sure what the subject is, if anything.

@Matt_Payne is right about that bird. I love it. And a fast enough shutter speed to get it sharp. So, I just got done commenting on @Lon_Overacker’s post in which he is contemplating the worthiness of a photo. I won’t rehash that here but I’m glad you posted this. You obviously had an intent with this when you took it. There is definitely mood in this image showcased by all of the fog which I Iove. The people are the first thing I notice after wading through the fog. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but I don’t know what the intent of the image is and why you necessarily included them in the shot. Getting past that, I do like the hazy progression of rock formations and the sense of mystery in the far background. I think a little bit more contrast would be beneficial particularly to bring out those rock formations in the ULC that are barely noticeable and there are some pretty bright areas for being such a foggy day. You could probably tone down some of the highlights but this also has that high key kind of style and I think if that’s what you were going for here than stick with it. It may be more perception than anything but I think this could use a slight clockwise rotation as well. There’s a lot to like about this image, Steve. Maybe figure out what made you pull the trigger with this shot and tell that story. Is it the people and a memory you had with them on this workshop? Is it the mood of the fog? Could it be the rock formations slowly receding from view? Or something else entirely?

1 Like

Steve, Matt and David both have offered quite a bit of thought and suggestion. I will just say that I like this a lot. The people help to set the stage and scale. I like the high-key feeling and the layers of the sea rocks. My only suggestion would be to add a slight vignette to the image. It will help the eye focus inward on the scene.

Very cool image, and a keeper in my view.

1 Like

Steve,

Really enjoying the higher key presentation and the layering. Well seen and photographed. B&W of course the perfect choice.

I too think the bird is a great added element to the scene, despite it’s small presence. Adds a great interested and helps tell the story of the beach/ocean.

I’m a little undecided in the presence of the person (or is there two?) I too think they add an element not only of scale, but of also the nature of visiting the beach; beach-combing, exploring tide pools, etc. It helps the viewer connect to the image. The only reservation and there’s not much to do about it, is the positioning; it’s like the person is just ready to bend over or something. Not a big deal really, but wishing for a more “stock” look of the person. I know, that’s a stretch I think.

Lon

As when we were there my favorite part is the layers disappearing into the mist, and I really like this. I can see the point about the people. If the were more towards the lrc and walking into the scene it would be optimal. If only your driver hadn’t been in such a mad rush to head south…

Thank you @Matt_Payne, @David_Haynes, @David_Bostock, @Lon_Overacker and @John_Williams for your very helpful comments! I had to mull this over a bit before I decided to make changes. I originally took the photo because of the bright, high key look and how the layers of rock showed through. With that in mind, I brought out a little detail while sacrificing some of the high key effect and placed the revision at the top of the post. I tried not to add any detail of the 2 women looking at the tide pool as they weren’t part of my original intent. Matt, I totally agree about not liking people in my nature photos, but I didn’t have time to wait for them to leave the scene, and I do think they add a little scale if nothing else, so I didn’t want to clone them out.

2 Likes