Wandering Tattler

You know it’s fall on the Oregon coast when these migrants show up.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Too tight on the left?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600mm 1/250; f7.1; ISO 400

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What a beauty! I like the limited color palette here, the bird just pops out. I am not as certain about the OOF lower left corner.

Thanks for commenting, @Adhika_Lie. I agree about the llc, but not sure what I could do. A slight crop, maybe, but there would still be some oof rock left.

What a beauty, Allen. Great details in the feathers. I too wish that the bottom left corner could have been in focus, but it isn’t. Maybe in hind sight, f9 or something like that might would have put the rocks in focus too. Still it is a very nice photo, and one I would love to call mine. I love the clouds behind him. Very nice.

1 Like

Thanks for commenting, @Shirley_Freeman. The tattlers seem to like the rocky outcroppings along the coast. This was taken on a jetty and the blue and white are a river near its mouth.

1 Like

I often find myself in this position, too. The solution is of course to focus stack but I always do not realize it until I see it on the big screen. I’ll say that you have done well in this situation.

1 Like

Nice, Allen. I like the pose and background in this one. Like Adhika, I find the out of focus foreground in the lower left a bit distracting. You might look through the files and see if you have a shot with that part in focus and try some focus stacking.

1 Like

A very nice capture, Allen! It must have been a bit chilly out. It’s all fluffed up and keeping one leg warm! I don’t have any problem at all with the oof rock on the bottom left. If you tightened up your aperture to bring it all in focus you would have completely lost your shutter speed or would have had to use a much higher ISO which would add a lot of noise. I think you made the right decision.

1 Like