Water Lilies

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 7D, Tamron 55-200 @ 144, 1/320 @ f9,ISO 400

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Rummaging through old files whilst we are now in lockdown I found this water lily image, taken in an old country estate. I’ve added a vignette to boost the flowers a bit.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Ian, the lilies look great. I also like the distorted reflections in the water (lower right). The vignette is nicely subtle.

A real treat, Ian. I like how the two lily blooms are pressed up against each other, forming a diagonal line across your image. The slight reflection in the water, and the frame filled lily pads makes this image very pleasing.

Ian
Very well done. These water lilies are arranged perfectly in the frame.

Ian: Beautiful pair superbly captured and presented. Makes me want to go water lily hunting this weekend. :+1: :+1:>=))>

You’ve given depth and detail to the image. You were right to use the vignette… just enough to give the lilies more importance. Nicely done.

Beautifully captured Jim. As others have noted, the comp is very good and I too like the slight vignette - bringing the appropriate amount of attention to the primary flower.

My own personal habit would be to clone out many of the tiny specs; there’s a few white ones in the pads and some dark specs in the pedals. Of course it’s perfectly fine leaving it “as found” so to speak, but if you’re inclined or will be doing anything more with the image it might be worth the housekeeping. No biggie.

Lon