Way back in 1998 + Re-post

A blast from the past. This photo was taken in 1998 with my first digital camera, an Agfa ePhoto 1280 - a whole one mega pixel. So, don’t adjust your monitor, this original photo was a mere 768x1024 pixels. We were at Zion National Park hiking the “hidden canyon” trail.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I do like all of the different layers. Just waiting for a chance to go back, . . .with a more up to date camera.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any and all comments welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Agfa ePhoto 1280 - no other camera details were embedded in the photo.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Linda, Zion National Park is a beautiful place to visit. Considering only one mega pixel to capture this image, I think you did very well. Amazing how far the cameras have come. Hopefully you can go back and enjoy the park again.

1 Like

A very cool scene, Linda, and image quality is much better than I would expect for that low a resolution. As long as I don’t stick my nose up against it, it looks quite good. I like your composition a lot and it has lots of layers.

1 Like

I agree Dennis, when I zoomed in it wasn’t nearly as pixelated as I thought it would be. At the time, I was so excited to be able to see the photos immediately, I wasn’t truly concentrating on much else. Thanks for your thoughts.

Linda: I love Zion and this is a great take on it. The eye of the photographer is way more important than the equipment. Top notch shot. >=))>

Linda, this looks very good. I like the mix of rock colors going light to dark, deep erosion forms and that pine on the right. They all work to provide a strong sense of depth.

Amazing how far cameras have come in such a short period of time. For one megapixel, this stands out pretty well. Well composed and nice color. That said, on my monitor I see a slight bit of a green cast in the rock. It might be worth looking at this with a different color balance if at all possible or decreasing the green saturation if you can do that.

You’re right David. I took this photo back into Lightroom and there is definitely a greenish tone going on there. I’ve not done a lot of adjustments with “saturation” and “selective color” ranges, but below is a re-post. I think it looks a little better. Thanks.

Thank you @Shirley_Freeman, @Mark_Seaver, @Dennis_Plank, @Bill_Fach and @David_Schoen for your kind words. I had to laugh when i posted this photo remembering how excited I was about this digital camera. I spent more time looking at the photos than watching where I was going. In fact, once even knocking myself flat on the ground because it didn’t see a tree limb hanging over the trail. Thanks again.

It does look better to me, Linda. The colors are much better. That sounded like something I would have done, not see a tree limb and knock myself flat on the ground. There is a reason why my mother didn’t name me “Grace”, I am not graceful! :grinning:

1 Like

Yup, that did the trick. The older sensors just don’t have the sophistication of the new one. Remember the white balance trick to see if the original is better under different settings.

Thanks @David_Schoen, I appreciate your comments. I did make this adjustment in Photoshop, I’m not totally up to speed on how to make a selective white balance adjustment in Lightroom. Still learning. Thanks again.