Wee and welcome

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another look at this sweet nuthatch doing its thing on a tree in the yard. I was up on my garden wall to get higher so to be on its level. I really like this classic pose with the view of the back feathers and folded wings. The colors are so varied - bluish gray to mauve and edges in black or white. Just a hint of those rusty bloomers this time.

Specific Feedback

Any processing ideas welcome and of course tips and techniques for better field capture.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for basic work on the raw file - S-curve to improve contrast, some texture and clarity. Topaz Denoise AI and then into Ps for some distraction removal, a crop and the Make It Glow action in TK8 dialed back a bit and masked for just part of the image where needed to balance colors and saturation. For the distraction removal I used the new Remove Tool and dialed the opacity of the layer back somewhat then added a blur layer to make things appear more natural.

Hi Kris, love seeing this topside view. A perspective I don’t get to view often and rarely capture myself. Details and colors look nice as well. Well done.

Nice pose and eye contact, Kris, and great detail in the Nuthatch and the tree trunk it’s on. I do find the single bright green leaf on the background trunk to be something of an eye magnet.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks & @Dennis_Plank - as I type this I can hear a couple of little honkers off in the side yard and one farther out - all calling, squeaking and honking. They’re such a treat to have around. This one kept an eye on me while scurrying around the tree and I was very happy it turned its back like this.

Hm…that leaf didn’t stick out to me…I will consider.

Nice capture of this little guy, Kris. We don’t have them around here, or at least I haven’t seen any. They would be a real treat. I love the pose he gave you.