Wet Columbine leaves

The morning after a rainy day, there were lots of newly growing things sparkling. This is a 29 shot stack to get all of this Columbine in focus. (R5, 180mm macro, 1/50 s, f/13, iso 800, tripod)

1 Like

Excellent work on the stack, Mark. Very cool.

Mark, this is fabulous. Lots of sparkle captured here. Wonderful details all the way through. The dead leaves make for a nice framing as well. This really makes me want to learn focus stacking. I did finally get to watch your webinar but haven’t tried to do it yet. Excellent image.

Echoing previous comments but wonder if a square crop might not work better.

Truly amazing, Mark, can’t expand on what the others have already said. Just gorgeous.

Shadows, starbursts, silhouettes - those droplets have everything, Mark. Excellent!

Wonderful capture Mark, the sharp details of the leaves and water came out very well indeed

I will echo the comments above. A truly outstanding image. The drops are wonderful and the little starbursts are the icing on the cake.

The dead leaves, on opposing diagonals are so well placed and make for the perfect frame.

With 29 shots I guess you have way more patience than me!

Wow, those water drops are so perfect! And I love their little shadows with the lights in the middle. Very cool.

I could see a 4:5 crop, getting rid of that arc-shaped dark area on the right. And if you’re not averse to cloning in/out stuff, maybe clone in some leaf pattern along the bottom where the gnawed on leaf hole intersects the frame.

Fantastic and simply drop-dead gorgeous!! I like the crop as it is but do like @Bonnie_Lampley’s idea of patching the leaf.

Beautiful work! I love all of the small details in this image.

Mark: Not much to add to the prior comments but this is a superbly crafted image. I have your stacking seminar in my list of things to watch but I am curious if you’re working with RAW images. Seems like it would take a lot of computer to handle that many R5 files. >=))>

@Bill_Fach: Bill, Helicon Focus uses the RAW files (or if you want to apply your raw processing, tif files, but I don’t do that). It’s somewhat slower with R5 files relative to 5D3 files, especially in loading the files and it clearly analyzes them in groups of 5, but still runs reasonably quickly (in the one to two minutes for this stack on my 2020 Macbook Pro).